Monday, September 17, 2007

MS 150 Bike Tour 2007 Pix








Blanche, me and Larry before the start.




Blanche and Larry ready to head out! Well, Blanche was ready - Larry hopped off his bike so I could take their picture. Blanche is riding a recumbent three-wheel bike. Larry rode "Mr. Fuji", a regular road bike - because their tandem-recumbent-tricycle had wheel troubles that weren't fixed in time for the Tour.




My sister Marie, who was the first in our family to ride the MS 150 Bike Tour, me and Dad (riding since 1994), ready for the start.



With Joe, a long-time rider and friend.







On the move at last! That's my shadow with the camera up in the air. We are riding above Hwy. 70 - the main highway into New Bern from the middle and western part of the state. Those itty bitty spots are cyclists! Aaaaack! We'll be down there in a minute!





This is just as Dad and I started down the on-ramp. Couldn't take any more pix after that, I was too busy enjoying the ride! It was a fun curving downhill and quite an experience to bicycle on a road that I've driven many times. I couldn't get a pic of it, but they had one of those changeable highway signs that said "Caution Bicyclists on Bridge". I'll try to find some other pix of the bridges - they go over the Neuse and Trent rivers, which New Bern sits on. This next pic is from up on the bridge.

Here's what it looks like from above - green arrows indicate where we rode.

Below two photos are me and Dad with long-time volunteer and friend Glen. This is at the first rest stop - about 14 miles into Day 1. Glen has had MS for many years and when I was on staff at the MS chapter, he called in to sign up as a volunteer. It was the beginning of a great working relationship that became a wonderful friendship. Glen is one of those people I see maybe 2-3 times a year at MS events, but we pick up chatting about families and other important things like we just saw each other yesterday. Dad rides for Glen, so they have a special bond as well.







This horse was just running along his pasture, enjoying the beautiful day as much as we were!



I think there are some cyclists up the road there....somewhere.... Just a peaceful country backroad - most of the tour is like this.




More photos to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.